Madison-Plains High School hosts live “Mario Kart Wii” competition

Benjamin Thompson

After school on Monday, March 9, some students banded together and hosted a live video game competition for students and staff in the Madison-Plains High School library starring best selling racing game “Mario Kart Wii”, released for game producer Nintendo’s “Wii” console in 2008.

Since the game’s release, “Mario Kart Wii” has become one of the world’s best-selling racing video games of all time at over 37 million sales and functioned as a key piece of many people’s childhoods everywhere, such as those of event hosts Andrew Geyer and Benjamin Thompson.

“I’ve been looking forward to this kind of event for ages,” Thompson stated. “Setting everything up was a difficult process, yes, but we made it work and I couldn’t be happier to see everyone enjoying this game. That’s ultimately why we decided to do this. It made our nostalgic hearts so, so happy.”

Gamestop.com
Official “Mario Kart Wii” box art.

The event itself opened up at around 3:15 P.M. EST for spectators, and the actual races began roughly 15 minutes later. The tournament ended up having a total of 11 players (including a teacher) and ran a double-elimination style bracket system. In the end, senior student Benjamin Thompson took first place in the event. 

Thompson stated about his winnings, “Honestly, I’m not even sure that the victory was justified. Most of our participants were leaving in between races, and eventually, we had so many people leave that we actually switched to other Wii games to kill time until band practice that day. It was extremely anticlimactic, but very entertaining as well. At the end of the day, that’s what matters most.”