Madison-Plains High School French classes celebrate Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras New Orleans

The parades and vibrant colors of Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Janelle Marks

On Feb. 25, people around the world, including the Madison-Plains High School French classes, are celebrating Mardi Gras. 

The French IV class played Jeopardy! on the topic of Mardi Gras to test their knowledge of this cultural celebration.

Mardi Gras originated in 13th century medieval France, according to Newsweek. In French, Mardi Gras means “Fat Tuesday” and in Latin, “Carnevale” means meat removed related to fasting for lent.

Mardi Gras is always a Tuesday and exactly 47 days before Easter and one day before lent. Annie Andre adds that although Mardi Gras has religious roots, it’s mainly known for its carnivals, parades, costumes, and celebrations for students and adults today. 

In French schools, students get to celebrate by parading around in their Mardi Gras costumes while their parents watch, similar to how children in America might dress up for Halloween.

Common Mardi Gras foods are: 

• La galette des Rois (the King Cake)
    • A puff pastry cake with almond-flavored filling and a trinket called a fève hidden inside.
  • Beignets
    • French donuts doused in powdered sugar
  • Étouffée
    • Typically shellfish over rice
  • Gaufre (waffles)
  • Gumbo
    • Louisiana stew with strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, celery, bell peppers and onions.
  • Jambalaya
    • Louisiana dish combining French, Spanish and West African cultures with sausage, shrimp, celery, bell peppers and onions.

Rio De Janeiro, Brazil; Nice, France; and New Orleans, Louisiana,  have three of the largest celebrations in the world and are known to be some of the best places to visit for Mardi Gras.