Madison-Plains senior French IV students celebrate La Chandeleur

Janelle Marks

Madison-Plains High School senior Kaylee Hart poses next to her crêpe as she adds peanut butter, bananas, strawberries, raspberries and a dash of cinnamon in before folding it up to enjoy

Janelle Marks

On Jan. 4, Madison-Plains High School French four students made crêpes in the home ec. room to celebrate “la Chandeleur.”

La Chandeleur (also known as Candlemas) is a French holiday that celebrates the end of the Christmas season for the French and the presentation of Jesus Christ to the temple for the religiously oriented. 

The candles traditionally represented Christ as the light of the world and the crêpes had several meanings. Since La Chandeleur represents the return of sunny days, crêpes were made as they symbolized the sun. Crêpes were also a way of using the surplus flour from the harvest (without too much risk since only a little is needed) and would symbolize prosperity in the coming year.

With this in mind, the seniors gathered the needed ingredients for the crêpes as well as whatever sweet treats they wanted inside such as nutella spread, banana, or strawberry. 

When they arrived at the home ec. room they quickly got to work creating the batter and cutting up the produce and the room slowly began to smell like a French patisserie.

Addison Tesi was able to try and succeed at the tradition of flipping the crêpe which, as the French Cultural Center says, is the belief that if you can flip a crêpe while holding a coin in your other hand, you and your family will not have to worry about financial problems.