Madison-Plains High School National Honor Society inducts seven new members

Michelle Sulfridge

Active and newly inducted members of the MPHS NHS pose for a photo after the induction ceremony

Owen Phillips

The Madison-Plains High School National Honor Society (NHS) inducted seven new members into its ranks on Thursday in a ceremony in the high school auditorium to celebrate their acceptance into the organization.

The group recruits qualified students to apply to join the organization. This year, there were 31 qualified students and 18 returned applications. Of those, seven were accepted. Students in grades 10-12 are “tapped,” or chosen, to fill out applications, and then are chosen from the list of acceptable applicants. The applicants were reviewed by a panel of teachers and administrators to judge their qualifications under the four core values of the NHS.

The four values of the NHS are meant to reflect the ideal student. The four categories are character, scholarship, leadership and service. The students were required to get teacher recommendations, retain a 3.5 GPA or above, multiple letters of recommendation for some of the qualities, turn in community service records, and provide evidence of leadership roles and activities they participate in, both in and outside of the educational setting.

The incoming members or “inductees” are then honored at the induction ceremony as a way of formally entering the organization. The inductees sign their names into the book of members, receive their NHS pins and cards, and take the pledge alongside their fellow members, promising to uphold their community and the four pillars of the honor society. This year’s seven inductees are Mackenzie Dixon, Brooke Edwards, Christopher Ernst, Tyson Guiette, Cainan Kelly, Kenneth Shafer and Julian Weis.