School Regulations When Students are Sick Need A Second Look

Riley Wight, Staff Writer

Have you ever been sick and the school told you that you had to follow certain rules in order to return to school? Well, I too have been in this situation before. I personally do not agree with these regulations. 

When you’re sick, the first thing you usually do is contact the school to let them know that you will be absent and your parents generally determine if you are sick enough that you need to go to the doctor, or if it is something you just need to wait out at home. 

These last couple years have changed this process as there have been a lot of quarantines due to the Covid-19 virus, and regulations on returning to school, when in reality, not everything is Covid-19. There are still other viruses and bacterial infections that share most, if not all, of the symptoms of Covid-19. 

When it comes to the regulations, the school says they require a negative Covid test, or a doctor’s excuse to return. This is not a written policy that can be found anywhere on the schools website, or even upon request. This makes me wonder why the school tells us that we have to do this to return, as it is not an actual written policy, thus it should not be required.

At this point, if you stop and think about it, the school is compromising our education by requiring us to stay home longer than necessary if we refuse the Covid test. The longer we stay home, and miss out on in-school instruction, the further behind it puts the student. Even just missing 2 days of school puts you far enough behind, but when you’re missing 10 or more days, you’re really behind, and makes it very hard to get caught back up and continue to learn. 

My point is, not every illness is Covid-19, and it’s time for us to realize that there are still other illnesses. Parents can determine when their children are sick, when they are contagious, and when it is safe for them to return to school. Not every family can afford to take their children to the doctor at every runny nose, or sore throat, yet the only other option is to perform a Covid test on their children which not everyone necessarily wants to do for various reasons.

At this point, it seems as if the best course of action is to not even tell the school that we are sick anymore.